The following is a detailed list of benefits and important details of having hardwood floors vs. laminated floors, to help you choose the best choice for your home.
So lets start by defining what is a laminated floors?
Laminated floors – also called wood tile is a multi layer synthetic flooring fused together with a a high-density fiberboard core, sandwiched between a melamine laminate backing, high-quality photographic paper with an image of wood, stone or other natural flooring and a melamine laminate top. A few companies actually use real wood veneer.
Benefits of a laminated flooring?
- Economic flooring.
- Sold in 4 Foot Strips or Tile form in varying sizes.
- Appearance! laminated flooring can simulate the look of dozens of different natural hardwood flooring.
- The wear layer of a laminated floor protects the material from stains and some spills.
- Installation: Laminated floor is easiest to install.
- Laminate flooring can be installed over almost any existing floor in the home.
- Laminate flooring is resistant to many of the outdoor agents that can discolor other flooring materials.
- Laminate flooring is naturally resistant to the growth of mold and bacteria.
What you need to know about laminated floors?
- Can you refinish a laminated floor? No you can not.. is it possible to touch it up and repair chips as well as the replacement of planks but not refinish it!
- When you walk on a laminate floor it produces a hollow sound, that makes the material feel fake and manufactured.
- While laminate can simulate the look of hardwood floors the illusion fades as soon as you feel the material with your hands or bare foot.
- Laminate flooring is quite hard and unyielding under foot.
- Some environmental experts have expressed concerns over laminate materials – saying they can release volatile organic chemicals affecting the air quality of surrounding rooms.
Now, what is the benefits of hardwood flooring?
- Hardwood flooring can be refinished, it can be sanded, stained to change the color or to remove imperfections.
- Hardwood flooring can last for 100 years if cared for properly. It is able to stand up to active work-spaces and heavy foot traffic. Quality hardwood floors are tough, hard-wearing and have long term durability.
- Good investment for the money you spend due to the fact that they require little maintenance.
- Indoor air quality – It has no fibers, grout lines, or embossing that can trap dust, pollen, particles, animal dander, and allergens that occur with carpets.
- The fact that hardwood floors can add actual dollar value to a home based that hardwood floors are in high demand by consumers in the Real Estate market willing to pay a higher price for homes that contains hardwood floors, due to the appeal and shine they add to a home.
- Natural hardwood flooring comes in planks that are 3 to 10 feet long.
- Hardwood floors are very easy to clean as they do not accumulate a lot of dirt, dust, and debris.
- Along with an elegant, high-end aesthetic, hardwood floors offer the warmth, beauty, and value of wood, which never goes out of style.
- Hardwood floors offer a wide range of appearances. There are many colors, styles, stains and finishes.
- A properly installed hardwood floor never gives you hollow sounds or vibrations.